Decadent Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies
With a craving for something sweet, we were perusing a few great foodie blogs before we stumbled upon this recipe from Jacob's Kitchen, a favorite fellow food blogger of ELZ's. We were excited to whip up a batch of his peanut butter cookie sandwiches based on the original recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. (We highly recommend heading over to his blog.)
Total prep & cook time: about 2 hours and 45 minutes
Makes about a dozen cookie sandwiches (dough yields about 24-30 cookies)
Ingredients for the peanut butter cookies:
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 of softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for the peanut butter filling:
1 cup of confectioners' sugar
1 cup of peanut butter, creamy
5 tablespoons of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup of heavy cream
Directions:- Mix ingredients for cookie dough: combine sugars, peanut butter, butter and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients to complete the cookie dough (flour, baking soda & powder, and salt).
- Cover and refrigerate dough for about two hours (until firm).
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Shape the cookie dough into 1 1/4-inch balls, placing on an ungreased cookie sheet, about three inches apart.
- Flatten with a fork that is covered in sugar, creating a pattern of your choosing (the crisscross pattern is popular)
- Bake for about 9 or 10 minutes, until cookies are light golden brown.- While baking, make the peanut butter filling: Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt on the medium-low speed, scraping the sides down with a rubber spatula, until creamy.
- Add the heavy cream & beat on high until the mixture becomes light & smooth.
- Refrigerate for a couple minutes if you'd like. (Use your judgement depending on how far along your cookies are)
- Once cookies are done, remove from oven and cool directly on cookie sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Spread a generous tablespoon or two of the peanut butter filling on a cookie and sandwich with another for a deliciously decadent peanut butter cookie sandwich!!
ELZ & PAB's review: These cookies are sweet sweet sweet! Now we know what some of you are thinking...these are way too much for me! But we also know that every once in a while, you have to indulge...right?? So maybe you won't make these tonight or tomorrow...but one day, when you have that craving or need a hostess gift or are planning ahead, this recipe just may come in handy! And plus, since they are so sweet...maybe you'll eat less...unless of course you are PAB and you will eat too many. But ELZ interprets this as a job well done.
Waste not, want not
elz + pab