Apple, Bacon, Brie Panini Sandwiches
A quick dinner or a delicious weekend lunch, this is an excellent way to make use of the local apples that are so plentiful during a New England autumn.
Makes two sandwiches
Total prep & cook time: under 30 minutes
- 1 crisp, red apple (fuji, gala, etc) sliced into thin rounds, see picture below
- 3 ounces of double cream Brie
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 4 slices of rustic, Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fry bacon in a large 12" skillet
- Slice apple & cut Brie into thin lengths, set aside
- Drain bacon drippings from skillet, set to medium heat & place 2 buttered slices of bread on the skillet (buttered side down)
- Assemble sandwiches quickly, layering the bacon, brie & apples. Top with two buttered slices of bread.
- As the bread becomes golden brown (3 minutes), flip sandwiches over and brown the other side.
- Plate and serve. Enjoy!
ELZ & PAB's review: We really enjoy these sandwiches as they have a great balance between sweet and savory. Most good bries comes from France, but we've found that there are some good domestic options so do not hesitant to try a different (less expensive, more local) option.
Waste not, want not
elz + pab