Before we dressed the salad, we set up the assembly line for the fried eggplant, and set the water to boil for the pasta. Pab also began to heat up homemade pasta sauce in a pan. Before we breaded the eggplant, we sat down & ate the salad.
Quickly rinsing off the plates and silverware, we were ready to go for the main course: we floured the eggplant, coated in egg yolk, and covered in breadcrumbs before frying in a cast-iron skillet over medium-heat. Meanwhile, we cooked the pasta al dente and served with the now hot pasta sauce.
3 medium size eggplants
1 cup of flour
1/3 of a cup (high-heat) vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups of breadcrumbs
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil, minced
DIRECTIONS FOR FRIED EGGPLANTS:
- Combine flour with salt & pepper in a shallow, large bowl, mixing thoroughly
- Combine breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese in a shallow, large bowl, mixing thoroughly
- Beat the eggs into a shallow bowl
- Heat 1/3 of a cup of high-heat vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat
- Slice eggplants into 3/4 inch-thick rounds
- Cover eggplant rounds in flour, pat to absorb
- Coat eggplant rounds with egg wash
- Return eggplant rounds to flour mixture, coating evenly
- Place rounds in skillet, fry for about 4 minutes on each side, or until browned
- Transfer to plate covered with a couple layers of paper towels, let cool
- Place rounds on top of pasta & sauce, and serve!
elz + pab